2.02.2011

Awesomeness

I spent this morning doing anesthesia on a five month old puppy named Trapper. I was nervous, but even more excited to take all that information shoved into my head to good use. The little guy was neutered and for the day I was in charge of the following...

Pre-drug the animal and figure out the right calculations
Place a catheter
Set up IV fluids
Intubate (which is a little more tricky on an alive animal, just sayin')
Hook up to anesthesia
Monitor and write down stats every five minutes during the surgery
Once the surgery is over, I take away the gas
Wait for him to wake up
Extubate
and then watch and monitor his vitals while he starts to recover

That was a lot of things for me to do, but I got a good pat on the back from the Doctor and my instructor. I wasn't able to see the actual surgery this time because I was so focused on making sure Trapper was doing well. I mostly starred at this the entire time



But at least I got to give him some good attention after the surgery was over.


Isn't he adorable? It was so much fun, I'm looking forward to a lot more surgeries - but Trapper will always be my first!

Trapper is awesome
I am awesome
Today is freaking awesome.


5 comments:

Heather said...

Congratulations!! Glad it went so well, I can't even imagine doing something like that!!

Unknown said...

You are my hero! Way to kick some trash!

Acetylene said...

that is.... well you said it, awesome!
Glad to hear things are going well. :)

susette said...

GOOD JOB GIRL!! Way to put into action all your great knowledge.

Enna said...

that is impressive! The picture with all of the tubes in his mouth intimidates me a lot.