1.13.2011

The Cycle of Life

Yesterday was a very interesting day for me. It started out with a bunch of nerves of the unknown of what I was going to see or do with my school. Early in the morning we all met at an animal shelter, and I knew then that today was the day I'd be dealing with cats who were euthanized. It instantly made my stomach turn in knots. I think we all are afraid of death, and what little we know or understand about it. I wasn't sure what to expect.

Although, this day took a turn that I wasn't expecting. When their vet tech brought in the cat for us to work on the room was filled with silence. It was a very respectful silence. In the first few moments I thought about the cats life and what it may have seen or done in its lifetime. I felt a lot of respect for the animal, and gratitude that I was able to practice medicine on him to make me a better vet tech. There is something about holding a lifeless animal in your hands for the first time that changes you.

Later on in the day we placed catheters, which was my first time. Actually I found myself to be a lot more nervous about placing a catheter then intubating a cat. I was very lucky that on my first try I was successful. I am always so proud of myself and the animal I am working on, that I have to take a picture.


He got a lot of free rubs and a cute blue bandage out of the deal. Pretty great if you ask me, he was loving all the attention!

After a long day at the clinic and work I felt exhausted when I got home. As soon as I had a chance I was vegetating in front of the TV for a little R and R. Before too long I had a visitor who insisted on cuddling with me.


It is interesting how life comes full circle. I was reminded of it all yesterday.


1 comment:

Heather said...

That would be so hard to do what you did; I'm impressed.

But both that dog and cat are such cuties!