2.17.2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

I really dread this time of year. No matter what I do, I am never able to stop the day of my moms birth. This probably seems like a silly thing to dread, but I think it is actually worse being reminded of how old your mom would have been, then the day she actually died. 48 is just way too young. In fact if she were alive, I'd be exactly half her age right now. 

My family has a tradition that we get together on her birthday, go to her grave, sing happy birthday, and let balloons go in memory of her. I was just not into it this year. At all. And one of the saddest day's I've ever had - my family pulls through for me and I feel so much better.

My sis had a new idea to light paper lanterns in the air this time instead of balloons. It was actually really magical to watch them soar into the sky until you couldn't see them anymore. I watched them float into the air, and felt peace. I wish you could have been there, because it was breath taking.


Also, while leaving to get gas, my dad insisted on paying for it. I felt really humbled he would think to pay for my gas for my ride back to Salt Lake. While jobless, these are things I really don't take for granted. 

I also got home later that night, checked the mail and had a surprise waiting for me. Lyssa sent me a Valentine, with some major encouragement and some money to have fun with. Ugh, I just broke down and cried right there. Things just come to you at the right moment sometimes, and I wish I could give her and my dad something in return to thank them for helping me.

So one of the worst days of the year has become one of the best. I love being with my family, because I feel at home while around them. Nothing can replace that either. 

"Have hope, have faith, and try to find joy in the journey." - My Sister Lyssa


3 comments:

Heather said...

That is a wonderful tradition to celebrate every year!! Happy Birthday to your mom:)

Carrot said...

This was such a beautiful post to me. I am so grateful that you have such wonderful family that loves you!

Amelia said...

I'm glad that the day ended up being a good one! You certainly have a great family! :)