5.01.2012

Is This Real Life?

Let me break down my last week for ya.

Last Monday - While working at my new job, I was being yelled (over something so minuscule it isn't even worth mentioning or wasting my time on), and this conversation happened.

"Are you intimidated by me Rachel?" - Manager

"No, I can't say that I am." - Me

"If I put a gun to your head, would you be intimidated then?" - Manager

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

So, in true Rachel fashion I reported it to HR. Because guess what? I AM NO PUNK! I ALWAYS DEFEND MYSELF! Apparently I need this on a t-shirt, because people keep thinking they can walk all over me. This created a lot of gossip and in less then 4.8 hours everyone knew what happened. Long story short, now apparently I am known as the girl who whines.

Last Saturday - While at a very adult party filled with booze, and hookah, the next door neighbors kid shows up in front of me and a bunch of people at the hookah, and attempts to smoke it.

"Wow, wait - how old are you?" - Me

"13." - Kid

"Alright, let's not smoke then." - Me

"My mom said it was ok if I did." - Kid

(His mom was at the party, and did say he could smoke if he wanted)

Stunned I say "Ok, well then don't smoke in front of me" - Me

Apparently I was out of line for talking to that kid, and it was also "none of my business" getting in between this kid, and smoking. Last time I checked the law, he was breaking it. Oh, did I mention it wasn't him that was giving me this crap - it was THE OTHER ADULTS AROUND ME? 

I know I've been living under a rock these days, but when did giving people crap for standing up for what they believe in be considered a bad thing? I am astonished by how many people sit to the side and let things happen. Well guess what world? If I have to be the tattle tale, or the party crasher then so be it! I won't apologize for standing up for myself when I was bullied, or for standing up for the law and that kids innocence either! 

I feel disappointed in our society right now. Apparently there are very few of us left who will stand up for what is right, even if it isn't what is cool.


2 comments:

Amelia said...

Wow! I cannot believe either of these events. First of all, that is SO inappropriate for a manager to say something like that. I would have reported them too. And it is very sad that people would stand by while a kid is doing that, much less his mom! If this was a party of mine I would not allow it. If his mom thinks it's ok, then they can do it in their own home. I don't know when our society lost respect for the laws, but it worries me too.

Jen and Jaylie said...

good job sister! you wouldn't be you if you didn't stand up for yourself or what's right. I was at that party, thought it was wrong but did not try to stop it so good on you for speaking up!!!