6.19.2008

It's Just A Sexual Thing

For those of you who get squeamish when talking about sex…this post is not for you…

It MUST be summer because sex is the topic with almost anyone I come into contact with! I like to think of myself adult enough to not break out into laughter or giggle like a little school girl when people talk about their sex lives, sometimes that doesn’t always happen though.

I think one of the biggest questions I get from people when asking about the Mormon religion is

“What’s that whole deal you guys and no sex?”

I can’t say I can give the best answers with questions like this, because really right now in life I am not participating in that game. Also, I still feel like I don’t know much about the gospel. Not as much as I use to know anyway. I don’t ever want to give them a wrong answer so I usually keep it a general answer.

“We just believe it’s something you hold off on until you are married”

That usually brings on a lot more questions.

“So do Mormons only have sex missionary style? Do they only have sex to conceive children” (Kids, if you don’t know what that is, ask your mom)

“Yep, Mormons only have sex to make babies, and on occasional holidays too.”

Ok – I don’t really say that but I think I should start saying that. Sex is such a heated topic it’s like the deciding factor with a lot of people looking into being apart of the church. Most Mormons I know do NOT talk about it. Which is too bad, people should not be so uptight. I am however surprised people outside of the church view Mormons like that.

Yesterday however I was reminded why they do think that. While visiting a high school friend the subject got brought up…shocking I know!

Ok paint this picture in your head.

Sweet, sweet girl. Innocent, very Mormon. Father is a seminary teacher, mother is a pre-school teacher. Got married young – 19. Doesn’t really know the “ways of the world” yet.

This girl starts telling me how it is with Mormons and sex.

“We don’t do anything ‘un-natural’ and we don’t have sex very often”

Uhh…ok this conversation is heading in another direction I didn’t want to get into. I could go on and on about other things she said – which were totally absurd. The main reason I am telling this story is it is just so crazy how other people think. Whether that be sex, religion, drugs, alcohol, gay marriage…whatever! I have my own views and options about things, I would never try to force them on someone else (like my friend tried to do with me yesterday).

My mind was opened some more yesterday, I’ve learned you can’t think things that other people say. Some of it is just bogus! You need to find the right facts and then make a personal choice for yourself and what’s best for you.

The end.

6 comments:

Jen and Jaylie said...

sex is awesome...with the right person... missionary style is so boring, mix it up! I agree, why can't we talk about sex openly like the Europeans do... ;) love ya rachel!

Jessica said...

“We don’t do anything ‘un-natural’ and we don’t have sex very often”

HAHAHAHAHA...I guess we are bad mormons.

HaLaine said...

Ditto that Jessica! Last time I checked there was no section in the D&C about how or how not to "DO IT!"

HAHAHAH!

Rich In Herriman said...

My opinion..by nature it's a very personal intimate thing, (I don't know how you could get more personal or intimate)and the more people you talk with about it the less personal and intimate it becomes.

Shannon said...

I agree with Jessica & Hannah. That's crazy talk right there!!

Shawn said...

Well, I happen to LOVE sex and definitely like to experiment...

Come on---give me a break! That is why they don't ask personal sexual questions at your temple recommend interview...or do they at yours? :)

Hmmm...

As for talking about it---just ask my grown daughters how I never stop talking about it---it embarrasses them!

btw---I saw your comment on Hannah's blog---so I came over to read. You seem like a cool person.