12.14.2009

On the 1st day of Christmas...

When I lived with my mom every year her and I would do the 12 days of Christmas to someone we knew was in need. Starting on the 13th of December we would anonymously create gifts and drop them off at the door step until Christmas Eve. There were several close calls where I was almost caught running for my life to the car parked on the other street, but knowing I was doing something for someone was worth everything.

I remember also receiving the 12 days of Christmas for my family. Some nights my mom and I would try to stay up to catch them, which never happened, we still had fun laughing and joking about it. One year the very last gift we received on Christmas Eve was five hundred dollars. I remember opening the envelope with my mom and crying. I can't imagine separating with that much money. My family was hurting really bad, and it was obviously a gift from God. After I moved out I didn't really keep up with it. I also haven't thought much of it either until last night.

I received a text message from a random number telling me to check my front porch before I went to bed. What was found was this,


Some pear cider and pear chips with a note letting me know I was picked for the 12 days of Christmas. I texted back asking who it was and thanked them, but received no response. At first I wanted to figure out who it was, but now I've decided that isn't what this is about. It is about giving and being able to receive at the same time. I have this guilt complex over taking something like this without being able to reciprocate the gesture.

I thought it was clever with the Pear stuff. Especially since the first day of Christmas the gift was a partridge in a pear tree. I'm excited to see what is happening next!

Thanks mystery person - this means more to me then you may know.

P.S. look forward each day with an update of what I received the night before.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That is going to be so exciting to see what each day brings:) You deserve it so just enjoy it!

Jill said...

Sweet! I used to love doing this! So fun...

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

wow! that is so cute! can't wait to see what the rest of the days bring! :)