1.28.2008

President Hinckley

This summer my great uncle came out from South Carolina. One of the first things he wanted to do was of course, go to temple square and see all of the church buildings. Even though I feel I have done this too many times to count, I went. I remember complaining about getting up so early, and how none of it has changed since the last time we all went there. Once we were finally there I was grateful.

It was a Monday.

My family and I took a tour of the new conference center. I remember walking down the hall with my hand gliding across the walls, I had a thought about how all these wonderful people have touched the same wall as me, perhaps even President Hinckley?

I stopped, I couldn't breathe. I almost felt frozen with an over whelming presence around me. Some pressure on my heart, that I don't think I could ever really explain.

I remember thinking how great all of this was, the people were so nice, the rooms were warm and inviting, my heart felt finally at peace. It was one of the first times I ever thought to myself that not every Mormon fit the description I had burned into my brain (very mature of me I know). That even if I had a hard time with the people, what it was really about was this... trying to be a better person, so my heart would fell at peace.

I am not the most religious person, in fact, sometimes I feel I am far from it. Even so, President Hinckley was a great man. I am lost for words because even great doesn't cut it. He showed everyone warmth, kindness, and compassion. For me, it is always hard to see someone leave this earth when they made this world seem better. People like him give me hope to know not every one in this world is out for themselves and corrupted. I tired to soak in as much as I could about the type of person he was. He is by far one of the top people that I look up to. Not because he is the President of the LDS church, but because he always trying to improve himself and the people around him. You just can't argue with that. I am glad he is at peace with his wife now.

He will be missed.

No comments: