3.17.2008

Honey, You Need Jesus!



So after the whole break up with Adam thing, I decided to do the “come-to-Jesus” thing.

That’s right ladies and gentlemen, I Rachel, am attending church. Oh but not ANY church…the singles ward! I know, I know, my face cringes up when I hear that word too.

I figured it was a good way to get my life somewhat in order. Now with my free time and lack of friends in the SLC area, I thought this would be a good idea with meeting new people. Oh and have I meet new people.

All you do is have to walk one foot into that church and people are swarming you!

“Hi my name is George what’s yours? Where do you live? Where do you work? Who are you dating? What’s your mother’s maiden name?”

At this point I am feeling a little overwhelmed, it’s the first time I have been do a church in over two years.

“Whoa buddy hold on now that’s a lot of ques…”

“Yeah I have been here for three years love every moment of it. The people are really great. I live just live down the road. I love children; I have seven nieces and nephews. Oh and I also love candle lit dinners and long walks on the beach…”

The man is selling himself to me before I even know his last name! Does he even know that we live in Utah where there are no beaches to be found?

Okay so I have to admit this church thing isn’t as bad as I would have thought. Everyone embraces me even if I do have a giant piercing on my face! I still can’t keep everyone’s names straight. That’s alright, I figure eventually I will. It is nice to have almost instantly 50 new friends. All who are in the same boat as me, single, away from mommy, and doing the work/college thing. I can sit by myself at church and don’t feel like a total fool because a lot of people do.

Let me tell you though, this ward I am in is like a super ward! Everyone is involved with everything. And boy do you get hounded if you were not there for FHE that week. Within only being in church for two weeks or so I already have home/visiting teachers who have both come over to say hi.

Tonight everyone is going laser tagging, I would go along but I really do have a lot of cleaning to get done tonight so the padre doesn’t flip! My home teachers came over to have a get to know you kind of deal, and it was nice getting to know the guys! Both are funny. I wasn’t even able to make it down the stairs until my door rang again. When I opened it to my surprise two new boys are standing at my door with the new ensign and a calendar of this months events.

That’s when it hit me, even if I did want to run away and hide from the church. Half of my ward at this point knows where I live, so I am pretty much doomed when it comes to bailing!

And you know, maybe that isn’t such a bad thing.

2 comments:

Guereca Family said...

Sam, I am really proud of you..... they say 'the first step back is the hardest' and it seems like you have successfully done so. It may sound weird coming from the girl who got pregnant in high school, but the Church is amazing, even though some times people there aren't...

Good luck with everything...I love you!

~Sissa

HaLaine said...

Bless your soul. I HATED single's wards...but they are a good place for making friends.