1.27.2010

A School Update

Well here I am, in my sixth quarter of vet tech school. Just when you think you are on the right path to getting that degree of your dreams, you get a class called...

Parasitology
(prepare to be grossed out)

For those of you who don't know what parasitology is, it is the study of parasites. Those creepy, crawly, bugs that get into your body and eat you alive from the inside out!! (Sorry, that was a little dramatic) This week we talked about Nematodes. And they look like this...

Mmm, just like Mom's home made spaghetti.

You probably know a very common Nematode called heartworm. Where literally a bunch of worms are living in your heart, eating all of your nutrients.


It really is a horrible disease to have, especially for our little animals. My friend's dog Chloe was recently diagnosed with heartworm, and has started the treatment process to get them removed. Take in mind this isn't your standard antibiotic drug and then your done. It's a painful, expensive, and heartbreaking process to go through. Prayers are sent Chloe and Angel's way to make sure Chloe comes out alive on the other end. Damn those worms! Get your puppies and kitties on heartgard already!

And don't even get me started on hookworms. I squirm just thinking about them. The pictures I've seen are still haunting me. Don't worry, I won't torture you with that one. But I can tell you I'll think twice before I go walking around bare foot again.

As if looking at all those worms isn't enough each week we do fecal floats, and direct smears which in human terms means playing in dog turd. A lot of dog turd. My gag reflexes have been put to the test! I'm grateful to say I haven't thrown up yet. But that isn't the same for some of my fellow classmates. On Monday while I was literally making some poop paste the guy next to me leaned over to say

"Makes you wonder why you picked this career in the first place huh?"

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way when it comes to the dirtier side of being a vet tech.

On a not so gross note, I am also taking a class called production animals. It is different then all the other classes I've taken. We learn about horses, cows, pigs, chickens, goats, llamas (yes Brittni, llamas), sheep, and any other barn animal you could think of. Later on in this quarter I will be able to go out and play with horses. People! I get to hang out with horses! This almost makes up for the poopy class, but not quite.

And in case you are still distraught over the nematodes, here is a picture of a cute piglet to clear the mind.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am torn between never eating spaghetti again and thinking it is awesome... But on a happier note, YAY LLAMAS!!!!!!!!!! I wish i could play with llamas.

Carrot said...

"the poopy class" Hahaha! Sorry...am I supposed to take the literally or figuratively...or I guess both in this case! Looks pretty yucky to me, but hang in there! You can do it!!!

Shawn said...

EWWWW!! Just don't serve that to me when I come out to see you in Feb.----heh, heh!