7.20.2010

A Slice of Heaven

Hawaii was breathing taking.

And because I am so in love with that little island, this post is going to be big, real big.

Monday:

We had a late flight, so I spent as much time as I could with Brandon before I had to go. Eventually I met up with my family. Everything went smoothly except that my silly dad tried to bring big bottles of lotion through security (even though I told him a million times he couldn't carry that on the flight). So he checked his carry on and all was well.


The first flight I was on the smallest plane I have ever been on. It was a little bumpy, but we got to San Fransisco in no time. Our second flight was long, and almost killed me being five hours long. Luckily the weird European man slept the entire time and didn't drool on me (there were a few scary moments though). Also I was glad that it was the biggest plane I've ever been on, so I had some room. We finally got to Honolulu at 10:30pm (2:30 Utah time). We picked up our car and then got lost trying to find our hotel. Several hours later, we finally found the place. However by that time, rational Rachel was gone and replaced by crazy physco exhausted Rachel. I ended up crying myself to sleep out of pure exhaustion and frustration. Not an awesome way to start off a vacation right? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

Tuesday:

I woke up feeling 100% better then the night before. I walked out onto our deck from the hotel and saw this...


How could you not feel this happy waking up to something like that?


I smelt the fresh ocean air, and was ready to relax. Which is exactly what I did all day. I explored our hotel, and it was amazing. Our room was big, and filled with marble everything!


The hotel itself was big, and beautiful. It was open everywhere, and had fish even sharks swimming around the resort. Sharks people!!





Yeah, I freaked out about the hammerhead sharks for a long time. I can't help myself. I'm a huge shark weirdo. Also, while exploring I saw a giant pirate ship in the ocean not far from us. Which we later found out from the local news/hotel employees it is the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean. Apparently they are filming all summer in Oahu for the 4th movie, and I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it with my own two eyes almost every day we were there.


That day we just spent time on the beach, eating some good food, and making sand castles. I went to bed feeling refreshed.






Wednesday:

We drove into town to the Aloha Stadium where they have a swap meet. There were stands of all sorts of different things, for a good deal too! We spent a few good hours looking at everything. I also made sure to have some fresh coconut water.



Next stop was the Waikiki Aquarium. Where we saw many fish. Everything there was taken from the Hawaii ocean, I kept freaking out thinking to myself that each time I swim all these creatures are below me.


I also got a cute little guy to take home.


His name is Mano which means Shark in Hawaiian.

Thursday:

My family went hiking while I slept in, and enjoyed more sun/beach time. Once we all got together we drove out to see Pearl Harbor. I wasn't sure what to expect, but being there and seeing the ships really did effect me.

The first ship we saw was the U.S.S Bowfin. It is a submarine that was sent out a year after Pearl Harbor, and every mission it had it completed. None of the men on that submarine were ever harmed too, which is amazing within itself.




We also saw a museum with some interesting things.


My favorite part of Pearl Harbor was by far the U.S.S. Missouri


For those of you who don't know the U.S.S. Missouri was the battle ship that was used when the entire world surrendered from WWII. So we got to stand in the exact same spot as where WWII ended, which was very powerful. I stood there thinking about the 70 million peoples lives lost during that war, and that it ended on this massive battle ship. It was a very respectful place.



Friday:

It was the Polynesian Cultural Center time! We drove down to the north shore of the island, where it is a lot more island like. Once we got there Alyssa and Matt were quick to get some spray on tattoos.


We also went to a great luau, with some great food.







We also saw the Hawaii LDS Temple, it was beautiful.


Of course the PCC was amazing, we had a great time at the main show.


Saturday:

Happy Birthday to my brother Jon! We made sure to celebrate his happy 15th!


Jon wanted to go back to the Aloha stadium for his birthday, so we spent more time shopping there. Later that day my dad had a surprise for us - a submarine ride! Oh I was so excited (and a little nervous). This ship takes you out to the dive site where you get on the submarine ride.



Once were in the submarine it was awesome! We saw thousands of fish - even a sea turtle. Apparently only 1% of mankind can say they have been below 100ft underwater, I am excited to say I am in that small percentile.







Since our flight didn't leave until 11 that night, we had some time to kill which was spent walking around Honolulu. It was such a beautiful evening there, I was constantly amazed by how beautiful this place is.




I spent every extra moment that I had in Hawaii on the beach, snorkeling, eating seafood and fresh pineapple, and drinking fruity drinks.


Besides all of the amazing things I did and saw, I really did have a great time being with my family. Of course there was some difficulties trying to get us all to agree on the same things, but over all it was really nice to see them for a week, and having nothing to worry about. The island is this place where the people are happy and grateful for what they have, that rubbed off on me. I had a lot of time to remember what is really important to me, what my real goals are in life. Sometimes we get so caught up in worldly things, and taking this vacation centered me a bit.

I could never thank my dad enough for making it possible for me to go with them, and to have a chance of a lifetime.

Aloha Hawaii!

A hui kaua

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything looks so beautiful. And those pineapple drinks, i want that. And I think Hawaii looks wonderful on you. ;)

Heather said...

Those pictures make me want to jump on a plane and go to Hawaii..........until I stop and remember what that flight is like!!:) It is worth it though when you get there!! I am glad you had so much fun!

Shannon said...

Oh man, this totally took me back! I'm so glad you got to go to the swap meet, PCC and everywhere else. What fun!!! Ok, I'm s shark weirdo to, I can't get enough of Shark Week or anything that has to do with sharks. I love them! Glad you had a good time.

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

SO JEALOUS! especially about the submarine part! I have never been 100 feet underwater-- only about 40 when I scuba-ed. LAME! I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip!

Brandon Wilde said...

I want to spend some days drinking fruity drinks while sharks swim around me. Sounds like the right thing to do in these times.

Heather said...

AWESOME! It looks so incredibly beautiful, and I'm glad you got to go. Was it totally sucky being away from Brandon that long? I think one of the worst things about serious relationships/marriage is that suddenly going anywhere without them sucks butt. Or maybe that's just me.

Oh, and I literally laughed out loud at the "Rational Rachel left" part, because I sooooo know what you mean. Unfortunately for Josh, he does as well. :)