11.05.2010

Where The Wild Things Are

The last two weeks I've been working on animals out in Eagle Mountain (which by the way, is ridiculously far away from civilization). I've done all sorts of things like

  • Almost getting my head smashed in by a horse (twice, actually)
  • Rounding up horses, llamas, and goats
  • Getting blood samples
  • Wrapping legs
  • ...and trying not to get my head smashed in.

Maybe working in the Equine field is not where I'm headed. I love these animals, but it is a little scary to try and take blood from a 2 ton lb animal. It is cool to say however that I've done it, and was successful my first time. I think I was the only one last night who got blood from this horse.


This is Kinick, and although she made me pretty nervous a few times, we ended up bonding and she let me do almost anything to her without moving around. Except, she doesn't really like to be given oral meds. But who really loves a massive syringe being shoved in their mouth?

I mostly worked with the horses, but this farm had a lot other animals.



Bulls, goats, sheep, ducks, pigs, and llamas (I really didn't like the llamas - yuck!) and that isn't even all of them. I had a great time trying something new and working with different animals. It really is a passion of mine to work with all sorts of animals, I'm really working towards my dream. I need to remind myself of that when things get hard.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Your school seems way more fun than mine was. That's pretty sweet that you're the only one who got blood out of that horse!

Heather said...

You are really good with animals so it will be the perfect profession for you to go into!!:)

Jo said...

Um hello I'm not quite sure I know what the Equine field is...are you going to be some sort of farm vet? Are you a horse whisperer? I had no idea you loved animals! How exciting.