11.20.2008

Growing Pains

How will I remember you when you're gone?

Eight simple words changing my life
You grabbed my left hand
slipping your ring onto my thumb

I'll always be right around you

I would normally laugh at how cheesy it was
If I wasn't so heartbroken
That was that
Nothing left to be said.
You were on a flight to Juno
I was right in the middle of second period

Months went by and I never forgot the ring
It was so big on my fingers
I knew I could handle whatever the day had for me
The ring reminding me of better days to come

Six months came and went
You were back
With a new squeeze
I should have known
I tried to give you back your ring

You hold on to it for now, I will come for it later.

I put it in the jewelry box
Hiding it away with all of the other memories
That I couldn't bare to remember

We had our break ups and make ups
I never once put the ring back on
But it was always there
Just waiting to be slipped on

I finally put my foot down
No more of you
No more of us
I finally moved on to someone new
Sure enough
There you were

I think I will come soon to get my ring back

The last words I would ever hear from your pretty mouth

I have it, whenever you want it.

You never came back and I never worried about it
Out of sight
Out of mind

My last breakup was hard
Bone crushing
Soul sucking
In my lost moment
The ring found me
Slipping it on
I was reminded that better things were to come
Every day since then I wore it
No one understood the meaning except me
Between just you and me
I would normally laugh at how cheesy it was
If I wasn't so heartbroken

Last night while sitting in my second class
My teacher started with the announcements

...before I forget there was a males ring found in this room
If it is yours come and claim it.

Looking at my naked thumb
I knew it was your ring
I thought about claiming it
I thought about keeping my last piece of you
Slipping it back onto its rightful place

For the first time I never noticed it was gone
Never felt the cold breeze touch my uncovered fingers
When I never spoke up to get the ring back
I was reminded that better things are to come

No comments: