5.20.2009

My New Friend

Meet Sunny...


Her and I met for the first time last night. I was sent off to the local shelter to take blood from some of the dogs there. I was hoping to be paired up with a bigger dog because let's face it I didn't do so well my first time with a blood draw and bigger dog = bigger veins.

So, I walk in and before I knew it all the bigger dogs were taken and I was paired with Sunny the five pound rat terrier.

Great I thought to myself, I got the smallest dog here!

She is such a cute girl though. She instantly cuddled up next to me when I held her and was content. I wanted to take her home (p.s. - if any of you are in the market for a small beautiful dog, let me know because Sunny is the girl for you!). My other vet tech that worked with me that night (who is ironically named Sunshine - I kid you not) tried to get blood from her jugular vein. She tried twice only to get nothing. It was then my turn and I was nervous. My palms got sweaty again and I tried not to shake. My teacher was great and helped me know exactly what to look for and how to do it. The next thing I knew I had this...


Finally success! I got some blood. Sunny was a champ and let us poke, restrain, and give kisses to her all night without freaking out like most of the other dogs did. Sunny and I also became good friends.



I learned two things last night
1. Taking blood is not as scary as I thought it would be.
2. Don't judge a book by its cover. Sunny may have been small but was the best one to work with.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

So adorable!! I wish that I could take on another doggie, but I can barely keep up with my two!

AND two cats... :)