11.02.2009

Larry

As usual my mom and I were running late to church on a chilly Sunday morning. My mom probably had a legitimate reason to be late. I on the other hand was purposely taking my time. In my high school days I never felt like waking up to leave for church.

"Rachel! Are you ready yet?"

"Almost mom! I just have to do my hair."

Looking myself in the mirror I start to curl my hair. After hearing my mom yell down the stairs to hurry up twice, I grabbed my shoes from my room. Hopping on one foot while trying to get your other high heel on is never as easy as it looks. Right in the middle of me grabbing my scriptures the door bell rings and I freeze.

What the?

"I got it mom!"

Running up the stairs I make it to the front door and peer through the peep hole to find nothing. Opening the door I step outside to see no one around. Who door bell ditches on a Sunday morning? I did however notice the big white paper bag sitting on the door step. Picking it up I was surprised with how heavy it was. I put the white bag on the kitchen counter top and stuck my hand into the bag.

Wait... that doesn't feel right...

Looking into the bag I immediately withdraw my hand and scream.

"MOOOOOOOOOM!"

Before I knew it she was running down the stairs at my screams.

"What is it?"

My mom looks into the bag and is shocked as well.

"Is that a lobster?!?" She screams.

"Sure looks like one to me!"

"Who would leave a lobster on the doorstep?" She asks.

As soon as the sentence leaves her mouth the white bag starts moving.

"Ahhhhhhhhhh!"

Both of us squealing at the top of our lungs isn't helping the situation. So we decided to leave to church and deal with the lobster later.

"What do we do with the little bugger until then? We can't just leave him in the bag."

My mom is right. We couldn't just leave him sitting on the counter. So I came up with the brilliant idea to fill up the tub with water and put the lobster in it. While sitting next to the tub my mom reminds me that lobsters can't live in regular water, they live in salt water.

"I'll go get the salt." I say while leaving the water running. Rummaging through the spice cabinet I grabbed the salt and hesitantly picked up the white bag as well. My mom takes the salt and starts to pour it into the tub water. Both of us realized this was silly, but what other choice did we have? At this point we were over an hour late for church. Finally the water was finished and my mom and I just stared at each other in the bathroom.

"Ok, put Larry in the water" I say.

"You named him?"

"Yeah, Larry the Lobster of course."

"Well, I'm not touching him."

"Me either! Wait, I have an idea."

Getting the kitchen broom I tip the white bag into the water. And use the broom to scoop Larry into the water.

Splash! He is in the tub and the girlish screaming continues, along with some jumping up and down. We both finally leave to church and are dying to tell our family about the news. When we get home my mom makes a few calls and realizes that other family members have received little Larry's at their doorsteps as well. Obviously, it had to be our prankster uncle Rich.

"What do we do with him then?" I ask my mom.

"Well, looks like we'll be having lobster for Sunday dinner!"

4 comments:

Heather said...

HAH! That's a pretty awesome prank.

Jen and Jaylie said...

hahahahahaha! how random!

Unknown said...

I heart this. And i can totally picture you both running around screaming.

Heather said...

I can't imagine what I would do if I found a live lobster on my porch but I know for sure I wouldn't have eaten it!!:) Now I will know where to bring one:)