8.05.2010

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

In case you've been living in a man whole, it is shark week! Discovery channel has been doing shark week since 1987. The same year I was born, coincidence? I think not!

Finally for once other people can live and breathe sharks like I do, it makes me feel like a normal person again. I am in love with sharks, especially the great white.


So in dedication to this amazing week, here are some pictures of these beautiful creatures.













Shark Facts:

  • The average shark lives 25 years
  • No great white shark has lived in captivity longer than 11 days. Although once in 1981 a shark survived for 16 days before being released.
  • More than 70% of known victims of a great white shark attack survive because the shark realizes it has made a mistake and doesn't finish off the prey.
  • In the Mediterranean Sea there have been 31 confirmed attacks against humans in the last two centuries
  • They can get up to 20 ft and weight up to 5,000lbs
  • Sharks can smell one drop of blood in a million drops of water
  • The chance of being killed by a shark is one in 300 million. The chance of being killed by airplane parts falling from the sky is one in 10 million
  • In one year, a single Great White consumes about 11 tons of food

How awesome is all of that? I love learning more and more about them. I even cuddle with a human size stuffed great white shark named Rex. Oh yeah, I'm that cool.

Remember kids...

3 comments:

Heather said...

I thought you were going to say something about it almost being Christmas!!:)

Shannon said...

I'm watching Shark Week as I write thing, and I have been watching it everyday since it started. I LOOOOOOVEEEE Shark Week!!! I too love those Great White's. It would be a dream of mine to go to South Africa and see those "Air Sharks". Man, oh man, that would be the COOLEST!!!

Allison Stuart said...

I've heard, that statistically speaking, you have a greater chance of being killed by a vending machine falling on you than a shark attack.

Get ready for this: I also have this great image of two sharks. One's attacking a human while the other is watching and then the one watching says "Bernie! STOP! You've made a horrible error."

Yeah, it's too early in the morning :D