9.10.2009

Mango Tango

Currently I am in a class every Wednesday night called Exotic Lab Animals. This means I am working with rabbits, guinea pigs, cockatoos, ferrets, snakes and...

Iguanas

This pretty girl is named Mango. Last night in class I was assigned to keep track of this feisty reptile. I had to put her in a burrito restraint which is really her wrapped up in a towel so she doesn't claw my flesh off (trust me, she can if she wants to). At first I was a bit squeamish. None of the pictures I have do her justice. Mango is 15lbs of pure muscle! Fifteen pounds people! Try to restrain her for two hours and see how you like it. After a while of her squirming around she finally gave up and was content in letting me hold her. Strangely it felt like I was carrying a baby around with two foot long tail.


Even though school takes up so much of my time these days, I am grateful for the hands on I have with all sorts of animals from all over. So the next time someone hands me a massive lizard, I'll know what to do with it.

And, I kind of want an Iguana for my own. I'd name it Spike.

5 comments:

Heather said...

That is scary!! The name Spike is cute though:)

Shawn said...

Do you handle chinchillas? I WANT one sooooo bad!! They are sooooo soft!

Spike scares me.

Heather said...

That is pretty nuts. But I'm glad to see he didn't claw your flesh off.

Brandon Wilde said...

If I had an iguana I would name her Betsy.

HaLaine said...

I used to have an iguana named OZZY! LOVE THOSE!