6.08.2010

Aloha!

It's been almost 11 months since my mom died. Although it has almost been a year, I am still learning new things about myself every day. I've learned I have new fears (a lot of them if I'm going to be honest). One of them being going to the doctor. I seem to only associate doctors to idiots, who have no idea what they are doing. I mean, to this day they still don't know what happened to my mom. Absolutely no answers. I'm also scared if I go to a doctor they will tell me something is wrong with me.

I'm sorry to inform you Rachel, but it looks as though you have diabetes...
a heart murmur...
high cholesterol...
breast cancer...

I can't hide from them forever though. I understand it isn't fair to my family, friends, especially Brandon to not take care of myself. I believe the last time I walked into a doctors office was when I was in high school. I'm also more in my comfort zone then ever before. I'm having a hard time going out and trying new things, even though a huge part of me wants that. I want to get out and explore things, and leave this current me behind. I'm especially tired of holding back myself from gaining life experience.

Recently I got an opportunity to make a big step out of my comfort zone and have a good time. My initial reaction was not to do it. I've thought a lot about it, and although a lot of people may not understand why I would say no, they also don't know what I've been through. But I'm going to say yes. I'm saying yes, to my first doctor appointment in five years. Yes to doing something new, and out of my comfort zone. Yes to Hawaii with my family.

I'm looking forward to having a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see this all day and night (for a week anyway).








So here goes nothing, in attempt to gain everything. I just keep telling myself -

I've lived through the death of my mother. I can do anything.


8 comments:

Heather said...

Soooo jealous and how wonderful will that trip be!

And you are right; you really can do anything after living through something like that.

Unknown said...

Rach, you are my hero. And i freaking love you.

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

you are wonderful. have so much fun-- jealous!

Heather said...

That is going to be so much fun!! I love Hawaii:)

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I know JUST how you feel, I went to the dr as a kid and I didn't get to leave! I was sent to Primary Children's and ended up being in the hospital for over a week, I still have the same problem today and I went 7 years with out going to the dr for the fear they were going to find something wrong again and keep me there! I just went back last year for the first time!! I get SUPER bad anxiety just thinking about it!! I'm so glad you're going to HI you will love it there! The water in the ocean is the same temp as the air, its fantastic! And don't forget to get some fresh pineapple!!!!

Jen and Jaylie said...

you deserve this trip with your family and I know you will love it! Can't wait for the awesome stories and pictures!!!! Love you Rachel!!!

Brandon Wilde said...

The doctor will surely diagnose you with a strange and rare condition known as Donkey Hotey Syndrome which, if untreated, may lead to Chronic Desert Dimentia. Symptoms include general boredom, apathy, an itchy feeling at the base of your soul, loss of focus and/or sense of purpose, talking to yourself inappropriately, etc. The only way to cure this mysterious ailment is to go to Hawaii and apply black sand to your flabatchaquilli several times a day until you cant stand it any more.

MaryPosa said...

So beautiful. You will have an amazing time, and you are amazing, so you know, it all works out. :)