10.03.2009

A little loose change

Growing up I was constantly searching through my moms purse. It's amazing what you can find in a moms purse. I found usually everything I wanted; gum, lip gloss, combs, loose paper, pens, keys, but more importantly I would find her loose change.

I would always take a quarter here, a dime there. It all added up when I was younger. Especially when Jr. High and High School rolled around all that loose change turned into a 20oz bottle of soda. Drinking that was pure bliss. My mom knew I took her change. Sometimes she liked to give me a hard time, but she never minded me buying a little something for myself. She out of all people could understand how a little bit of cold refreshing coke could make everything better.

This week during work I stopped by the house, and no one was there. I had some time to just look around and touch everything in the house. Little short clips of memories with my mom danced inside my head. Her baking in the kitchen with me watching, having long talks about life with her in the front room, and watching a movie in her bed together (the movie was usually one of the Mission Impossible movies - yuck!). I stopped short when I saw her purse hanging on the stair railing. I couldn't help but rummage through to see what I could find. There was some bubble gum lip gloss, which I put right back where I found it! (Really Mom? Gross!) I opened up her wallet and change starting pouring out of it. At first I was shocked, but then started laughing. I couldn't believe how much was in there!

So, I looked up to the heavens and told my mom thank you. I took the change (all $6.99 worth of it), and when I got back to work bought myself some Pepsi. It was by far the best tasting Pepsi I've ever had, and I owe it all to my Mom.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Looks like it was there just for you!!:) You should keep that purse for the memories:)

Shawn said...

Glad your Mom was alot like me----I keep EVERYTHING in my purse!