2.10.2009

The Return of the Past

Just when you think you have escaped, just when you think you are moving on in life, heading in the right direction, starting a new chapter - the past, or more specifically my past comes back to haunt me.

Tonight while doing some home work I receive this text message.

"Is this Rachel?"

I HATE when this happens to me. I have this battle in my head...

Who is this?
I don't know the number.
Ok you shouldn't write back, you know how your luck is.
But what if it is someone important?
Or someone I want to talk to?
Obviously they want to talk to me.

The curiosity always wins.

"Yes. Who is this?"

"Your long lost friend Dave. How are you?"

Immediately my heart pounds in my chest and a knot is in my throat. I knew which Dave it was even though I did not want to believe it.

Don't know about Dave? You can find out here.

The rest of the conversation is as follows -

Rachel: I'm good. Dave who?
Dave: Smith. From high school. Remember me?
Rachel: Wow. I'm surprised you know this number. How are you?
Dave: I'm good. I totally forgot it and could never think of it till last night. I had a dream that I called you. lol How are you?
Rachel: I'm good
Dave: So whats new?
Rachel: Working, going to vet school, have a new boyfriend. What about you?
Dave: Working in Salt Lake, living in Eagle mountain, and I'm married.
Rachel: Oh congrats! That is awesome.
Dave: I think so. Where are you living these days?
Rachel: In Salt Lake
Dave: Same place or have you moved?
Rachel: Same place
Dave: Cool. How is the fam?
Rachel: They are doing great. Thanks for asking.
Dave: Good. I'm pretty surprised I got a hold of you.
Rachel: I am too. I'm shocked you remember this number.
Dave: I know thanks to my dreams
Rachel: So how long have you been married? Anyone I would know?
Dave: For about a year and three months. No one you know. Her name is Mashaely
Rachel: Oh, cool name
Dave: I think so. So hows your boy?
Rachel: He is amazing. His name is Brandon who is 27.
Dave: Brandon what? Where is he from?
Rachel: Wilde. He is from Salt Lake. You wouldnt know him
Dave: Fun. How long with this one?
Rachel: Since December
Dave: That's cool

At that point I stopped texting him. I think no matter who you are your first love is always hard to get over. They are the ones that leave a lasting impression on you. I always thought we would never speak again, I would never have to hear from him ever again, and I found peace in that. A part of me is upset that he would jump or try to jump back into my life like this. It is just my luck to have him remember my phone number from a "dream". I am still completely in shock it happened. Although, this wouldn't be the first time him or some other guy has contacted me like this out of the blue.

I am so lucky to have a boyfriend who is self confident enough not to freak out when I tell him about my dramatic ex boyfriend stories - and then when they randomly contact me again. Trust me when I say most guys can't handle it.

Why? WHY? Who contacts their ex that they havent seen since the summer of '05? Especailly when you are married?

Welcome to the ongoing story of my life.

No comments: