3.05.2009

Get Well Soon

The power of good friends and family is something I never want to take for granted.

My mom has been sick for the last several weeks. It is the same old story. Her body goes into some sort of shock and she is pain - then she goes to the hospital - they can't find anything wrong with her so the drug her up and send her home.

This cycle my family has been dealing with for almost three weeks. It's terribly frustrating when eight different doctors cannot figure out what is wrong. Maybe its an infection, neurological damage, or a virus. The story changes all the time. My poor mother being either in pain or completely drugged up for the last while makes her exhausted. I've never seen her so sick in my life. Although this past week she has been home and not in pain but still struggling to move or speak properly.

Last night however I got a phone call from my dad saying she isn't doing well again. He needed to go to work and asked if I could take the day off to stay with her to make sure she is taken care of. I told him I could but on the inside was breaking down. It's so hard to hear your parents in pain or weak because they are always the strong ones. They don't get sick - my mom is superwoman...what do you mean the outlook is bad?

I cried. Cried. Cried.

While sitting around in my empty house I thought of my wonderful cousin Stephen. He I know is going through some hard times right now as well. He was sent back from the MTC with medical reasons and is having a lot of stress in his life not knowing what to do or whats wrong. Feeling ashamed I am sure. I gave him a call and we talked about everything. We talked about how he is scared of his future and doesnt know what comes next. I told him I was scared to see my mom sick and that I couldn't bare the thought of her being in the hospital.

When I hung up the phone I had a different outlook. Things would be ok, my mom would be ok. She just needs time to let her body heal. Stephen will be ok. He just needs time to let his head be cleared.

Later that night I got a phone call from my dad saying I didn't need to come down the next day to watch her because they were admitting her into the hospital. My dad was very positive about it. At least she now has a place where people can watch and monitor how her body is healing and try to give her different medications to see which works.

I tend to see the negative things in my life a lot easier then the positive. For every negative thing going on in my life I have triple the amount of friends and family who love me and are there for me when I really need it. They help me see no matter what happens I can get through it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow'." - Mary Ann Radmacher

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Gosh I'm sorry your mom hasn't been feeling well. It is really hard to see them suffer like that, especially when you don't know what the heck is going on. You're an amazing person and have a great outlook on this. Stay strong and all will be well.

Shawn said...

Oh my gosh---this is such a hard thing to deal with...

I hope that it all works out all right----I will keep you in my prayers.

Hang in there, girl---keep the faith