3.11.2009

Porters Place

If you were to ask me if I ever lived in Lehi, Utah I would smile and say "Do you think a girl like this would live there?" My confession is yes, I did - once. I don't remember it because I was so young when living there but that doesn't mean I'm not there a lot. Growing up my entire family on my dads side lived in Lehi. I spent many days and nights roaming the streets and causing as much trouble as I could in a city full of cows.

One of my favorite places to sit down and drink an iron port is Porters Place.


This restaurant was built in Lehi back in 1971. Although most of the artifacts were created in the 1800's. The restaurant is named after one of my heros "The Destroying Angel" or better known as Orrin Porter Rockwell. His picture is all over the place. When I step inside, I feel like I've traveled back to old western times, not many places can do that for me.

My favorite part by far is their bar. It came from a saloon in Montana and was made in 1881.


Here are more pictures of inside the restaurant...



I love the painting of Porter.


And here is the outside...








Rumor has it they are tearing the building down for something bigger and better. I hate to see it go, especially because a lot of childhood memories are in that small building.

Just for fun here are some facts about Mr. Rockwell

- Joseph Smith promised Porter that if he never cut his hiar his enemies would never harm him. (That prophecy was fulfilled)
- He was one of the first converts to the LDS church, and was a close friend to Joseph Smith
- He was ordained a seventy in the church, a position he held throughout his life
- Through out his life he had four wives
- Rockwell served as Joseph Smith's and Brigham Young's bodyguard
- He was accused and jailed for the attempted assassination of Missouri Lt. Gov. Boggs. (Boggs issued the infamous ex-termination order" to the Mormons. Joseph Smith said he knew Porter didn't shoot Boggs because Porter wouldn't have missed.

So I guess even a place like Lehi has it's little gems.

4 comments:

Carrot said...

Good memories of us there drinkin our sasparilla! (not sure I spelled that right) Good times! And the best scones!

Brandon Wilde said...

We need to go there before it's too late. I must see this place for myself. It looks awesome.

Shawn said...

Cool...thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I used to work there... erm... I wont say anything...