3.12.2009

A series of unfortunate events

Well, not all of them are unfortunate... last night my mom was diagnosed with Guilain-Barre syndrome. It's a disorder where your own immune system attacks your nervous system. The treatment is getting high doses of immunoglobulin (or better known as antibodies) into her system to help fight off the problem. I am very glad to know they finally have figured out what is going wrong and how to fix it. I went to visit her yesterday and she is finally starting to sleep and the numb feeling she has is starting to fade. With fingers crossed she should be home this weekend after the treatment is complete. It may take her several months to fully recover - I think we all are ready for her to be better. I brought her some flowers.


My mom nor I have the women gene of loving flowers. Neither one of us really care to get it - yeah it's nice for about two seconds until it wilts away. However, I think the more colorful, different looking ones are worth getting. They can lift your spirits when all you have are four white walls, machines, and tubes to look at all day. I think she appreciated them as well. It's amazing what a little color can do to your life.


As far as the unfortunate event, while I was walking down the hospital hall I ran into my ex's brother and his wife. I knew someday I would end up dealing with seeing his family, or probably even Adam himself. I think in my head I thought I would be strong and say hello and pretend like I don't have a care in the world.

Boy was that a fantasy! I decided to keep to myself and not say anything if I had to, I wanted to avoid the awkwardness. However as we passed each other and I turned just to make sure it was actually them I hear the brother say to his wife...

"Yeah, she looked a lot better when she was with Adam."

Ouch. Way to kick me while I'm down. I guess I am always surprised (even though I shouldn't be) when people act this way. Why go out of your way to hurt someone who you didn't even know? I dated Adam for two years and not one of his family members, besides probably his father, even knew who I was or got to know me. It's too bad people are like that, and it's too bad I let people like that get to me.

I'm sticking to the positive here though - my mom will soon be getting better. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

2 comments:

Jen and Jaylie said...

they're jerks! they can kiss our butts!!!

hope your mom gets out of the hospital soon :) love you rach!

Shawn said...

Glad your Mom is on the mend---that IS what is the most important---but I still hate people like that...


AAAACCCKKKK!