3.30.2009

Holi : A Festival of Colors


Down in the heart of Spanish Fork, Utah sits a beautiful white Krishna temple. I have never gone to see this temple, but growing up heard much about it. In India the holiday Holi announces the arrival of spring and the passing of winter. Thousands of people a year gather to this temple to sing, dance, and enjoy each others company.

... oh yeah... and throw massive amounts of color on each other!

Last Saturday KaraLee, Brandon, Jen, Denise, Brittni and I went for the first time to celebrate spring! We got there and already people were covering the place.


We ate some of the food they had there. Jen didn't like it but everyone else did. It doesn't look very appetizing, however I thought it was some good grub!


Before you are allowed to throw your colors (which are like colored chalk or dust by the way)they light a bonfire. I left my group of peeps right before they were going to light the bonfire to find some other friends. I thought it would be easy to find each other but I was seriously mistaken. Once I found Brittni and Denise trying to get back to Jen, KaraLee, and Brandon was crazy. Right as we were almost to the group the throwing started so we ended up stuck in a mosh pit of people and colors.

This picture was taken with my disposable camera - it looked exactly like this when things started to get crazy.

These pictures also doesn't do it justice with how many people were there.



I couldn't breathe for a little bit inhaling all of that dust and color. For a moment everything seems serial. These beautiful colors of green, purple, orange, yellow, pink are all flying around.

Here, my friend, is the aftermath of the color throwing...





Here is a before, during, and after picture of yours truly.
















Have I ever mentioned that my cute boyfriend is an amazing photographer? You should check out the pictures he took of the festival here.


That beautiful sunny day didn't last long though. I don't think our celebrating the spring did any good because the day after at my house looked like this...


Oh well, I had a wonderful time. I look forward to doing it next year and know exactly what I am getting myself into this time. I am now a festival of colors warrior.


Da end.

3 comments:

Brandon Wilde said...

Thanks for the link to my photo blog there. People are looking at it now. Your pics are pretty cool too. But why did you not post the awesome one with the light beams over the temple? That one is amazing.

Trent said...

fun times! i love that picture of brandon loading the camera.

Shawn said...

Wow! This is crazy! I had no idea that they did that in Utah. It looks like a lot of fun....

Too bad about the snow again---what up?