6.02.2009

Today I admire...

Beth Ditto


She isn't afraid of who she is. She isn't afraid to be big or small, short or tall, gay or straight, funny or shy. She is who she is. She is an advocate of positive body image, and able to show others it's ok to be who you are.

Today I find myself struggling with the way I look. Today I wish I was a size five, with beautiful long hair, and straight white teeth. I wish I didn't feel like everyone was staring at me as the fat girl. More importantly, I wish I didn't think like this. The fact of the matter is, if I was all those things, my life would be easier. Alright, maybe I am just in denial here, but it seems like my life would be. Lately I'm feeling ashamed, almost to the point where I don't want to go out and do things out of fear of what people would think. I tell myself that if I was this or that I wouldn't feel this way when in actuality I'd find something else I am not happy about with myself.

So today, I am going to try and change the way I think. I'm not sure how I am going to do this, but I am going to try. I want to start by walking Reggie more. Cooking and eating at home. Surounding myself with positive people. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

I think sometimes we all wish we were a size 5. I was thinking about that the other day... then I realized... most people who are size fives, are not size fives because they work out and eat right--it's more genes! damn you super skinny people who eat 30 donuts a day! ;) anyway. I love you and I think you are beautiful. the end.

Shannon said...

Girl, you're BEAUTIFUL!!! I so know the feeling of all of this all TOO well. I think if all of us didn't worry about what society thought we'd be the happiest no matter what size we were. Love ya Rachel!

Jen and Jaylie said...

I feel your pain but don't forget that your body is just a shell!

Shawn said...

You are gorgeous----and I love your wit and spark! YOU just need to believe that!

Go girl!! You can do anything!

Brandon Wilde said...

You are beautiful, and you always will be.

HaLaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HaLaine said...

Whoa there are two Hannah's. So, what's awesome is that you have come to the conclusions you came to...it is a process we all must go through. I am, in fact, doing this myself. Maybe in different ways, but figuring out how to be ok with ourselves is, I think, the key to happiness.