7.20.2009

Cedar City & Zion National Park

Trent and Brittni made it clear that if I didn't get my butt down to Cedar City to visit them soon that I would have to suffer their wrath. If you knew their wrath like I do, you'd already be half way to your car right now following their instructions.

So, after a two and a half hour drive I was in Cedar last Thursday (I'm a speed demon alright? Lay off!) I spent that Thursday night with these crazy kids...


Every time I go down to Cedar and I see the town I'm always asking questions like.

"Y'all have a cow store here? That sell jars?"
"What? No Barnes and Nobel?"
"Is there anything to do down here besides the Shakespeare festival?"
"You read in BATHTUBS?!?!"

(exhibit A)

I'm always amazed how small that town is and how often Trent And Britt run into people they know. That is far too small a town for the likes of me.

However, Cedar City does have an amazing canyon. I can't deny the beauty there.








Trent told me in advance that they were planning on hiking in Zion National Park on that Saturday I was down there. If any of you even know just a little bit about me it is that I do not hike. Ever ever. Call me diva, call me the city girl, but climbing up dirt and rocks is never my idea of fun. I tried to give them the sad eyes, the mad eyes, the depressed eyes - none of them worked, I was going on this adventure whether I liked it or not.

So at the butt crack of dawn we headed out to Zion. Once we got there Trent, Anne and her friend Stephanie all wanted to do Angel's Landing. HA! I'd rather cut off my left leg and give away my first newborn then do that hike. What kind of sick bastard wants to hike for four hours?! It was painfully obvious I was going to hike alone to the Emerald Pools. A more reasonable two hour hike, although I was still not pleased.

I have to say, the hike was horrible. Did I mention the weather was 113 degrees outside while we were hiking? I was miserable on my way up. Bless Brittni's soul she became my hiking buddy. Although I'm pretty sure she went with me just to make sure I didn't jump off a cliff out of pure desperation for the torture to stop.

Once we got to the first pool I was dazzled. It was beautiful, and I had to jump in the water fall to cool off a little.












I did enjoy the park, they had some rivers to play in, and some fantastic stores to shop in. I think I am all natured out now. I do think it's cool that now I can say. "Yep, I sure have hiked in Zions"

Early Sunday morning I headed back up to the SLC. Reggie and Brandon were calling me... along with the list of things I needed to get done before I start this week. It was a good last hoorah to my summer break before I become a slave to school and work all over again.

3 comments:

Trent said...

haha! not all of us read in bathtubs. yay for canyoning it up! im so glad were hardcore.

Unknown said...

Oh rach. I love you. Next time you come down, we will actually go into the cow store... there are dead things hanging from the walls. and also baby chicks. sometimes.

Shawn said...

As usual, I love the pics---and you do look HAWT in that picture---heh, heh----hard to relate, as it is RAINING again today out here----sigh.