7.05.2009

My love of July

This 4th of July started off on the wrong foot. I had a hard time being excited. Normally this is one of my favorite Holidays of the year, but with my mother in the hospital (for the hundredth time) I knew it wasn't going to be the same.

Brandon took my grumpy self up the big cottonwood canyon to have a BBQ with his family. My mood did change, because being around his family is usually always good times. We had a good walk in the nice weather and some good chicken. However, afterwards I still didn't want to see fireworks. I didn't want to fight the crowds, sit around for hours, or sit in traffic for hours waiting to get home. Yet once again, patient Brandon told me I should go anyway, that we would have a good time.

We drove to Tanner park just to check things out. It is a park right across the Sugarhouse park where amazing fireworks always happen. We set up our blankets and some pillows and wasted the night away with great conversation.




During our conversation and staring at the valley down below, our future was brought up.

B: "Yeah, I could see myself getting married to you."

- I need to take a moment to let you know what was going on in my head at the time. We have been dating for about seven months and I pretty much knew how I felt about Brandon, but never spoke it. My theory in relationships is the man should be the one to open up first. That way, you don't scare anyone away. And all night I was trying to corner Brandon to say exactly what he felt for me. After many failed attempts all day I said.

R: "How can you see yourself getting married to me if you don't know if you are in love with me yet?"

Tricky, I know.

After a few moments of silence he said...

B: "Well, I do love you."

(all together now ladies - Awwww!!)

Of course I followed with I love you too. And so our first love yous were exchanged. The best part was even though it sounds cheesy in all the wrong ways it was perfect for me. It felt natural and I was so revealed to say it out loud.

We spent the rest of the night watching several different fireworks.. that were very impressive.


It was by far the best 4th of July I've ever had. Thank you Brandon for the amazing day, I owe you one.

P.S. - I want to be like these guys when I grow up...

6 comments:

Hannah Neville McMillan said...

awwwwwwwww

Heather said...

Not cheesy at all! I love it. I am so glad that things went the way you'd hoped. Yay for love! :)

Trent said...

hooray for fourth of july love!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Yay. It makes my heart smile. :)

Shawn said...

Awww, you made my heart pitter pat----I LOVE mushy moments!!

So----will I be invited to the wedding? :)

Heather said...

I hope I hear about the wedding plans before I read it on the blog, j/k!!:) I learn so much reading your blog!!:)