4.15.2009

Smearing some Blood

I don't think I have official come out and said this so - I am going to UCC (Utah Carrier College) to one day become a Veterinarian Technician. I started the program in September of last year, my graduate date is in June 2011. Its technically a two year degree but I am only going part time. I'm not strong enough to go full time, work full time, have a social life, and have my sanity intact. So far the program has been great! Really hands on, flexible schedules and such... however this quarter just might make or break me. Often I keep asking myself...

Rachel, do you REALLY want to become a vet tech?

Some days I am able to say "Hell yes woman! I was born to do this!" - Other days I say "I don't know girl. You seem way over your head here."

As of right now my basic hematology class is kicking me in my shins, real hard! (Have you ever been kicked good in the shins? I've dropped down to my knees several times in blood curdling screams. Ah, the beautiful memories of being a soccer player.)

*Please note the sarcasm in this next paragraph*

My teacher is WONDERFUL! I just love it when she shows me all of these power points and is kind enough to read everything that is on the slide. Because, obviously I can't read it for myself. I also love it when she doesn't take the time to explain anything or repeat herself if I am trying to write down some notes. I'm glad she rushes through the lectures, that way I get the chance to really study hard at home to take her unmerciful quizzes the next week.

Last night consisted of me failing my first quiz in that class, trying to keep up with her short (but detailed) lecture, and then learning how to make blood smears.

For those of you who do not know what a blood smear is, how you make one, or why we need one, here is a run down - The blood smear is done so that you can take a look under the microscope to see what is going on with their blood. Trying to find any abnormalities. Our instructor would not let you go home until you were able to create 10 blood smears that were up to her standards - then dye two of them for research next week. To make them you take a drop of blood and smear it across a slide using this very "simple" technique...



Looks easy enough right? WRONG! Last night I spent two and a half hours doing that process over and over again to try and get just ten good blood smears. Other people got theirs done in about a half hour, some even an hour. But once I reached my two hour mark I had ENOUGH! When I get very frustrated my face turns red, and I end up looking like this -


Actually, while I was in class my face was a lot more red then that. That picture was taken of me when I got home and had a little bit of time to cool off. It is still embarrassing when my other classmates and teacher could see how upset I was getting over such a simple task. My face easily shows when I am mad, frustrated, or embarrassed.

Eventually though - I did it. It only took me two and a half hours to get ten good blood smears and dye two of them.


TA DA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think from here on out I will be a damn good blood smear maker. After all of that practice, how could I not be?

4 comments:

Jill said...

"My teacher is WONDERFUL! I just love it when she shows me all of these power points and is kind enough to read everything that is on the slide. Because, obviously I can't read it for myself. I also love it when she doesn't take the time to explain anything or repeat herself if I am trying to write down some notes. I'm glad she rushes through the lectures, that way I get the chance to really study hard at home to take her unmerciful quizzes the next week."

That's precisely why I love school. Props to you for being patient and working hard!

Unknown said...

you can smear my blood anytime...

Shawn said...

That was CLASSIC!! I think that it is so cool what you are going to school for---you rock!!


I'm glad you finally got my bag---I was starting to worry that it had gotten lost in the mail. :)

Can't wait to see pics of it---in your hands!!

Jen and Jaylie said...

wow...you are my hero...lol